Obscure Object of Desire – The Smith & Wesson Model 5903 SSV 9mm Pistol

Pistols of all descriptions.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

The Smith & Wesson Model 5903 SSV, a rare bird for sure and now I have one thanks to a very special donation by a person that wishes to remain anonymous. First and for most, you know who you are. Thank you very much for allowing me to own one of the rarer Third Gen Automatics.

Okay, so what exactly is a Model 5903 SSV you ask? Well, it is a traditional 9mm S&W Third Generation Automatic with some differences from the normal run of the mill guns. The fabled S&W Whiz Wheel can't event describe it.

The Whiz Wheel was Big Blue's answer to the confusing model numbers for all their Third Generation Automatics.

It was a one off production made in 1990 and released in 1991 by Lew Horton Distributing Co. Inc of Westborough Massachusetts. S&W was transitioning from the first production design of guns to what would be their mainstay layout for the Third Generation. The original frame design of the Third Generation guns had a hooked combat trigger guard and Big Blue was transitioning to a rounded trigger guard.

The original frame design with the hooked combat trigger guard.

So they had first production run frames just lying around. Big Blue being the company that they are wouldn't just junk them. No siree Bob they wouldn't do such a ghastly thing. S&W has a history of using older parts and frame to make one offs and that exactly what they did. They took those first production run frames and made something special.

The original dealer sales flyer.

SSV stands for Short Slide Variation. S&W took the compact 6904 slide and barrel and slapped it on the 5903 frame. The 5903, being the full size aluminum framed 9mm duty gun meant it was already a light weight gun. But by adding the 6904 upper, they trimmed the weight off a little more and instead of it having a 4" barrel, it had a 3.5" barrel.

So in essence, Big Blue made a Commander variant of their tried and true 9mm duty guns. Or for you younger shooters out there that aren't 1911 aficionados, S&W made their own version of the GLOCK 19X and GLOCK 45.

My 5903 SSV has a set of replacement Hogue Grips and I use the 17rd Mec-Gar magazines for it. But it shipped from the factory with 15rd magazines and wore the "straight back" one piece wrap-around plastic grip.

Some other touches they did to the gun was instead of a spurred hammer, they used a bobbed hammer. Also they used a stainless decocker/safety lever to give it a nice two-tone look. They also shaved down and thinned the slide stop lever too.

The sights are the ever classic 3-Dot Novaks. Rugged, reliable, and slick. They're far better than what S&W originally had when they first came out with the Third Generation line.

They only made 1,500 of them. Along with the 5903 SSV, they made a Double Action Only version too. That is the 5943 SSV. They made just over 3,200 of those. But the 5903 SSV is a traditional Double/Single Action gun. Long DA pull for your first shot and then a crisp SA pull for all your subsequent shots.

Size wise, the 5903 SSV and a traditional Third Generation Compact like the 6906 are not that different.

Notice the round trigger guard versus the hooked combat trigger guard.

The guns both weigh in about the same. The length of barrel is the same and even the grip length is the same due to the pinky extension on the magazine. But the main difference is magazine capacity. Yes, the 6906 can take a regular full size mag. But their specific mags are limited to 12rds while the original magazine for the 5903 was 15rds. But like I said, I use the Mec-Gar 17rd mags for my gun. Now, the 6906 is easier to conceal is you use a flush base plate on the magazine.

If you have a Compact gun like my 6906 and you want to know what it is like shooting the 5903 SSV. You can always get Grip Plus 2 magazine adapter from Precision Gun Specialties. It gives you a full grip when using the full size magazines in the compact guns.

What makes it special is the little "SSV" marking on the gun, because nothing stops you from buying a regular 5903 and getting a surplused 6906 or 6904 upper and making your own. I know on the various Smith & Wesson forums that I visit, folks have done exactly that. But the fact that this gun was an factory build from Big Blue and it has that little marking, that is what makes it special.

All in all, the 5903 SSV is a gun for a hardcore S&W fan (like me) and for someone that wants something different but reliable. They're great carry guns since they have the shorter barrel and slide but you still get the full length grip. The weight isn't bad either since they're made with the aluminum frame instead of the boat anchor stainless steel frame. So they're easier to carry with a good OWB holster and belt.

Only 1,500 of them were made in 1990 and released in 1991. So in a thirty year time span, how many still exist? Who knows? All I know is I have one.

Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
tector

Post by tector »

Awesome! Love the steel Smiths and this sounds like a beauty.

PS: I just bought That Obscure Object of Desire as part of a newly released Blu-ray set.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”