SIG P365 SAS Opinions?

Pistols of all descriptions.
MiamiOffshore

SIG P365 SAS Opinions?

Post by MiamiOffshore »

Strongly considering purchasing one of these for EDC. Specifically the SAS (Sig Anti-Snag)

I have two friends who carry one every day and love them. Would love to hear anything the forum has to say!? Thanks!
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

I’m considering it as well. I’ve had the P365 for a year now and happy with it. The only comment on the negative side....getting used to a different sight picture.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

The P365 is an awesome little pistol and I've made it my EDC. Having said that, you couldn't give me the SAS version. To begin, reports of the sights not lining up correctly. Minor issue. Major issue is that it is ported. First, a 9mm doesn't need to be ported. Second, porting on a competition pistol that will be held at arms length with eye protection is one thing. Porting on a defensive pistol used for CCW that is likely to be used without eye protection and possibly at less than arms length (CQB) is quite another. Hot gasses and particulates get ejected out of the porting. Catching any of that in the face/upper body, particularly if you're in a life & death struggle is not the wisest course of action.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

Deputydave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:00 pm Major issue is that it is ported. First, a 9mm doesn't need to be ported. Second, porting on a competition pistol that will be held at arms length with eye protection is one thing. Porting on a defensive pistol used for CCW that is likely to be used without eye protection and possibly at less than arms length (CQB) is quite another. Hot gasses and particulates get ejected out of the porting. Catching any of that in the face/upper body, particularly if you're in a life & death struggle is not the wisest course of action.
An interesting consideration [mention]Deputydave[/mention] I agree the porting is unnecessary for a 9. I suppose one could swap out the ported barrel for a standard barrel but that certainly increases cost. I'm truly intrigued by the de-horning or whatever you want to call it and the optics situation!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

We had a couple customers get them, its a neat concept, but I found myself trying to line up the sights versus the point and shoot concept I think they are trying to achieve, meaning it tricks your brain and goes against the front sight defensive training way.
Not sure if I explained it correctly but it would take some real draw fire training to get used to it.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 pm
Deputydave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:00 pm Major issue is that it is ported. First, a 9mm doesn't need to be ported. Second, porting on a competition pistol that will be held at arms length with eye protection is one thing. Porting on a defensive pistol used for CCW that is likely to be used without eye protection and possibly at less than arms length (CQB) is quite another. Hot gasses and particulates get ejected out of the porting. Catching any of that in the face/upper body, particularly if you're in a life & death struggle is not the wisest course of action.
An interesting consideration @Deputydave I agree the porting is unnecessary for a 9. I suppose one could swap out the ported barrel for a standard barrel but that certainly increases cost. I'm truly intrigued by the de-horning or whatever you want to call it and the optics situation!
I've been carrying the P365 daily for a couple of years now. Never had an issue with it snagging on anything. It's really a non-issue and I'm not sure who at Sig thought this pistol configuration was a good idea. Sig needs to send them to a combat pistol course. In regards to the regular P365, the Xray night sights with the lime green front insert do a good job of catching the eye during a point-n-shoot drill.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

mavrik wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:31 am I’m considering it as well. I’ve had the P365 for a year now and happy with it. The only comment on the negative side....getting used to a different sight picture.
Took the P365 to the range and did very well point shooting and aimed. Carry’s pretty decent in a front pocket if that’s your preference as well. No need for me to change things up. Mav
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

mavrik wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:50 am
mavrik wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:31 am I’m considering it as well. I’ve had the P365 for a year now and happy with it. The only comment on the negative side....getting used to a different sight picture.
Took the P365 to the range and did very well point shooting and aimed. Carry’s pretty decent in a front pocket if that’s your preference as well. No need for me to change things up. Mav
Agreed. For me, the P365 just points naturally. I seem to be on target as soon as the pistol is on target. And I'd like to be clear, I'm not really a Sig fan at all. I've had several and like them just fine, but my comments on the P365 are based upon that pistol and not Sig as a whole.

In regards to the SAS version, I just couldn't own one. Not saying it's a bad pistol in-and-of-itself, but it offers a solution to something that isn't a problem, could cause self-injury in a CQB situation and as noted, porting on a 9mm just isn't needed.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

The only piece I’ve ever appreciated porting on is a 5” S&W 44Magnum. It had one large port at the end and top of the barrel and helped w control some. But as far as a self defense pistol porting is a detriment. Gases, glare, and burning powders are not nice in the face. I was interested in the SAS I enjoy new technology in any form but the more I thought about it I thought not and will stick w the P365.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 pm Strongly considering purchasing one of these for EDC. Specifically the SAS (Sig Anti-Snag)

I have two friends who carry one every day and love them. Would love to hear anything the forum has to say!? Thanks!
Did you get one?