Gen 5 Glock 23 vs. HK USPc40 vs. HK P2000 40 S&W

Pistols of all descriptions.
Deputydave

Gen 5 Glock 23 vs. HK USPc40 vs. HK P2000 40 S&W

Post by Deputydave »

I'm going to do some out loud thinking, anyone/everyone feel free to jump in with your thoughts...

The Glock 23, when it comes out in Gen 5 will be a bit heavier and thicker than previous gens. This would put the w/unloaded magazine weight at approx. 26.6 ounces (a 3 ounce increase over previous gens). Add in another 7.5 ounces of weight when the mag is loaded for 34.1 total ounces (weight of mag loaded with 13 rounds per Glock's website). My HK USPc 40 is 30.6 ounces w/unloaded magazine, 38.1 ounces total when loaded (actually a bit less I'm assuming because the HK mag will hold one less round than the Glock). So there is only a 4 ounce difference between the Glock and the HK (and probably just a pinch less). Although at the moment I'm hot for a Gen 5 G23 when they come out, I'm starting to question whether 4 ounces difference (or a touch less) is enough of a difference? If the slide, as has been discussed in the Gen 5 threads is 2mm thicker that would only put it 1mm shy of the thickness of the USPc (34mm vs. 35mm). The G23 would have one more round of capacity. So the weight, thickness and capacity are in favor of the Glock but by a pretty razor thin margin overall.

I already have the USPc40. All I'd need, as discussed above would be night sights for the 40 slide and very possibly a 357sig barrel as suggested by Drew and others. So between the price of a 357sig barrel and night sights I'm looking at a ball park of $300 into the platform I already have which would give me a 3-n-1 pistol. And a pistol that was specifically designed for 40 S&W. And one that I've shot and I know I'm pretty much balls-on accurate with, specifically using the 40 slide. I may be talking myself out of a G23 which even a blue label prices (assuming Gen 5 is the same as right now) with night sights would be in the area of $500 give-or-take. That isn't counting a 357sig drop in barrel and 9mm conversion barrel which probably another $300+.

I'm going to have to put some thought into this...
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Adding into the mix, I have a P2000 in 40 S&W. I also have a 357sig barrel for it. It has night sights (they are fairly bright but I do not know how old they are). I'd have to see if I could get a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Same thickness as the USPc with a wieight w/loaded magazine of 32.46 ounces. That's 5.64 ounces less than the USPc and actually 1.64 ounces less than a Gen 5 Glock 23.

I've not fired it with the 357sig barrel but I do have a range review in another thread with the 40 S&W barrel and it was simply fantastic! It's a V2 DAO trigger which was very smooth. So if I went with the P2000 I would only need the 9mm conversion barrel for the complete 3-n-1 pistol platform I've been looking for with a weight savings over the other two options.

Some research will have to be put into this angle.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Just stick with what you have.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

lakelandman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 am Just stick with what you have.
That would be the wisest course of action. After I posted above I remembered that the P2000 doesn't need a 'conversion' barrel, a normal 9mm barrel will work just fine. I've pretty much talked myself out of a new G23.5 in favor of just picking up a barrel for the P2000. And actually, I could pick up that 9mm barrel for the P2000 and a 357sig barrel and night sights for the USPc and still come out ahead will less investment then getting a G23 (even at BL) and adding the two extra barrels.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Sounds good save the $$$ for ammo. LOL
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Yeah, it's gonna be awhile till it returns to normal on ammo prices. I figure not till about the 2nd quarter of next year.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Carried m USPc40 the other day and it actually felt fine. Wasn't an all day thing but it was doable. Now I need to find some night sights for it and eventually a 357sig barrel (just because). The P365 is still going to be the go-to, particularly for long days in the Florida summer, but the HK is now doable.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

There is another factor where, in this case, the HK is superior to the Glock and that is hammer-fired vs. striker-fired. In my opinion, the 'safe action' of the Glock is an industry buzz word and not an actual fact. Too many people have shot themselves or others inadvertently with a Glock because of something interfering with the trigger. Usually upon a re-holster. Now if Glock offered a manual thumb safety version (like they do for contracts) it would be much safer, again particularly during the re-holster. But they don't, and though I do like Glock, it's a strike against them in my book.

On the other hand, a hammer-fired firearm give you a tactile feel (when the thumb is properly placed over the hammer) while re-holstering. You can feel if there is an issue. And although not 100% fool proof, you have zero tactile feel on a striker-fired pistol. And of course the first trigger pull is long and heavier on a hammer-fired pistol.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

But, but, but, it is. 40! Go metric. Either down to 9mm or up to 10mm.

Just kidding but think going with the barrels for the 2000 is a great plan

Let us know how it handled with them. I tried that route with my g22 and just did not like it. Just seemed very different poi from my g17.

Probably just me though
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

n0rlf wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:39 pm But, but, but, it is. 40! Go metric. Either down to 9mm or up to 10mm.

Just kidding but think going with the barrels for the 2000 is a great plan

Let us know how it handled with them. I tried that route with my g22 and just did not like it. Just seemed very different poi from my g17.

Probably just me though
I know 40 S&W lost it's flavor-of-the-month status when the FBI switched and all the lemmings panicked, lol. :mrgreen:

But I do like the 40 S&W and as I've been saying since it lost it's favored status that it was the time to jump into the caliber. For several years you could pick one up inexpensively (pre-crisis of course). And at least of my last order a few weeks ago, I bought 500 rounds of 40 S&W for pretty much Walmart pricing (back when they sold it). And of course you can go with the 9mm and 357sig so it's versatile. And since I found out a standard P2000 9mm barrel will work it's been added to the 'want to get' list.

If I can pick up a 357sig barrel at a good price for the USPc I'll do that as well just to have the option.

At least that is the plan :D