M40 clone in .223

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
Gunnyhiway

M40 clone in .223

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I think I can get the groups a bit tighter by working on the OAL a bit more and tweaking the powder charge.

It's a Remington 700 SPS with a varmint barrel. I bought it last month and I have changed the plastic OEM POS stock to a nice walnut police clone M40 stock with an original aluminum VN era buttplate and contoured forearm tip.
It also has the correct era sling swivels and bottom metal ( trigger guard and drop plate). I have a set of 1968 mfg. NOS correct VN era Weaver base and rings coming in a week or so.

Oh yeah, I installed a high end Timney trigger too. :mrgreen:

It's still new as I have only shot 40 rounds thru her, so I know it will get better after shes broke in a bit.

I detect a full blown M40 in .308 in my near future..................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
FLshooter

Post by FLshooter »

Pretty good shooting there ! 40 rds isn’t even broken in yet. I usually don’t even expect consistent groups out of a factory rifle barrel until I start breaking near 100rds.
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I'm babying this one a bit. I do 5 shots and clean.
Never did that before.
I don't expect benchrest accuracy out of this rifle while off bags and no bipod.

I do expect myself to become disciplined again with no attachments to makeup for my laziness.

I'm working on eventually being able to make good shots with no external aids, just the rifle, me and using my buttpack for a rest while out at one of the over 300 yard precision shooting ranges I'm interested in.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."

ROLL TIDE !
photohause

Post by photohause »

^^^Old school...love it...gotta prove it to yourself, nobody else matters. Go for it!
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

photohause wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 pm ^^^Old school...love it...gotta prove it to yourself, nobody else matters. Go for it!
Thank you.
I'm going to work at reviving the dormant skills of my youth.

ROLL TIDE !
photohause

Post by photohause »

Reach down deep and do it. After that, cake walk.
We used to do it with open sights, no scope. Would have a buddy with a spotting for us. He would yell "Call it!"
Most of the time we know where we puled it. "Two O'clock, nine."
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I just installed the issue type Redfield base and rings, almost a 100% Nam replica except caliber and barrel length.

I'm stoked !

ROLL TIDE !
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Take pics. Love to see it complete.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Alway liked walnut, need better pictures! So if I may where did you find the stock?
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

Lastrites wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm Alway liked walnut, need better pictures! So if I may where did you find the stock?
I got the first one from a guy in Missouri who use to build them, last one. :cry:

I just got one I'm going to refinish for my M40 .308 build. I have another coming to refinish and inlet also. If your interested I may sell the second one when I'm done, I love the woodwork !

ROLL TIDE !