Why all the M1 Garand love?

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Outgunu

Why all the M1 Garand love?

Post by Outgunu »

My next door neighbor has many M1 Garands. I have never felt love for these things. Garands are heavy, take an overly large cartridge, don't use detachable mags, limited scope mounting options and are just plain ole ugly. Please explain what is is about these that make you want to spend good $ on one. (Edited to add that I do have a M1 carbine, I consider it a light, mag fed, handy little rifle, but I feel that my 10 inch 300BO is better in all ways.)
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

History.....

The M1 Garand Rifle. "The greatest battle implement ever devised." -- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Kinda like how a vintage Harley that's heavy, loud and slow can go for stupid money when a Ninja 250r outperforms it in every way for a fraction of the price.

I've never had a Garand. I have a M1A , and had a M1 Carbine....one of the few guns I regret letting go. It was a fun, capable little carbine.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

For the same reason I can appreciate a flintlock or a lever action - each is important to our history and heritage, and represents a significant milestone in the evolution of firearms technology. Something too few today know or care anything about - they just want to make noise and piles of empty brass.

For its time, the Garand was an amazing piece of equipment, compared to the 50 year old bolt action designs carried by most of the rest of the world.

When I hold one, I can't help but think about the tens of thousands of 18 to 25 year-olds who, 75 years ago, toted these heavy chunks of steel and wood through the fields and hedgerows of Europe and the jungles of the Pacific and handed our enemies their asses, often at enormous cost. When they finished their job overseas, those that survived came back, went to work and help build this country into the greatest nation on Earth . . .

. . . so that today's progressive left could try to tear it down and turn it into one of the counties their great grandfathers fought to defeat.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

My basic training at Fort Dix NJ 1961 was with a Garand. The gun that won WW II.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

All the squawking about assault rifles always makes me chuckle.
I have two M1 Garands, their receivers were forged in 1943. Now no one can say where but I will bet those two ASSAULTED somewhere. Was is an atoll in the Pacific? Normandy? Anzio? Over the hump in Burma?
M1 has a superb sight, y'all can use a scope if you NEED to. I can make hits at 600 yards with iron sights, when MG&A was 1000 yards I dropped a couple rounds on target, not all 8 :oops:
I have watched scoped wonder rifles with troubles hitting at 100.
To each their own. My $295 rack grade Greek return is not pretty but with M2 ball I have a 4-5MOA rifle. With my secret formula I have a 2-3MOA rifle. Not great but lots of fun.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Do tell, what's the secret formula?
hurricanecharlie

Post by hurricanecharlie »

No real secrets.
Good barrel,good trigger and good stock.
Good ammo also helps.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Stolen from Master Poe for 168 match kings
;)
Big bore lover

Post by Big bore lover »

300 BO is ok but will never be a battle rifle round. If someone can't find love of Garands it is their loss.
Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Why can’t they make garands that shoot commercial grade 308?
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009