South Florida shoot?

miamitj

South Florida shoot?

Post by miamitj »

Any interest in doing a shoot for good old times? I can rent out the tactical bay at trail glades or we can meet up elsewhere. The last time I think I hosted one we used Sharon's range ... Lol. Remember Sharon? We used to do C&R shots at Trail glades back on the public side with the old grouchy guy that retired after we raised hell when he calling the range hot on me while I was still down range...
tector

Post by tector »

Anything outdoors would have to be real soon, because the Ungodly Hot + Mosquito Season draweth near. Last summer was the hottest summer I've ever seen here.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

miamitj wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:28 pm Any interest in doing a shoot for good old times? I can rent out the tactical bay at trail glades or we can meet up elsewhere. The last time I think I hosted one we used Sharon's range ... Lol. Remember Sharon? We used to do C&R shots at Trail glades back on the public side with the old grouchy guy that retired after we raised hell when he calling the range hot on me while I was still down range...
I've definitely wanted to do this for a while. I rented out the side range at Trail Glades a couple of times years ago, but now they require you to be a corporation with liability insurance. I have the specs for what the insurance should be but I haven't been able to find an insurer (I did finally create a corp, partially for this purpose). If you can set it up, I'd be happy to participate or even help out depending on what you'd need.

I remember the old man. Now there was a character. I think he believed the range would be a great place for everyone if it wasn't for all those people who always wanted to go there to shoot. :D
My posts kill threads.
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

The easiest way to rent the tac range is to be an NRA instructor or Range Master and carry the NRA Instructor insurance. Through Lockton Insurance. It's about $300 a year.

Getting NRA instructor credentials is also absurdly easy. When I did it there was a person getting out that had never shot a gun...
tector

Post by tector »

The only problem with that plan is that you have to give money to the NRA, which is an anathema to many of us right now. Although an endowment member, I haven't given them a cent in years, and won't until there is barbed wire enema given to the whole fucking leadership.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

tector wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm The only problem with that plan is that you have to give money to the NRA, which is an anathema to many of us right now. Although an endowment member, I haven't given them a cent in years, and won't until there is barbed wire enema given to the whole fucking leadership.
The insurance has morning to do with the NRA. Obviously the credentials get them $$$ but it's the only way to rent a range these days - trail glades or otherwise
tector

Post by tector »

That's fine, but I am not giving a cent to the NRA, directly or indirectly, until they are broken and on their knees. YMMV, it's a big world.
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

I'm not quite sure just what you all do with a rental bay for a bunch of guys with guns but it would appear that getting the group put together and shooting in a local match on the same squad in a venue that you could all agree on would seem to work good too and it's a whole lot cheaper unless you're shooting 50 different guns at the same time.

Just an idea.

AD
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

ADulay wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:43 pm I'm not quite sure just what you all do with a rental bay for a bunch of guys with guns but it would appear that getting the group put together and shooting in a local match on the same squad in a venue that you could all agree on would seem to work good too and it's a whole lot cheaper unless you're shooting 50 different guns at the same time.

Just an idea.

AD
Maybe, but local matches in south Florida have become pretty scarce. I'm not sure why. There used to be a group called Tropical Sports Shooting Association that ran regular matches. I attended a few and even "joined" for a while. I never did get to the point where I was a regular, but then I kind of stopped participating altogether and then temporarily moved to Atlanta. Upon coming back in 2022, I could no longer find them. Their site is still up but doesn't seem to have been updated in a while. I also tried looking up other matches, but was unsuccessful (I think there's a thread here about this too). I'm not quite sure what's going on, except maybe people are unsure about the future and don't want to use their ammo.
My posts kill threads.
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

Ammo prices have killed most "shoots". Gone are the days of mag dump after mag dump of every caliber known to man kind.

I personally went from shooting (mostly training) 12-13k rounds a year to less than 2k...