9mm and .380 difference...

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
TonyR

9mm and .380 difference...

Post by TonyR »

Alright,I know the .380 is a smaller caliber than the 9 ,but how much of a difference is there in bullet size. Set them next to each other the .380 looks more like a 9mm short.Yea yea its not a .45 and not going to drop a bull,but.....
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Consider the difference in 38SPL and 357MAG. Special is shorted than Magnum. The same goes for .380ACP and 9mm Luger. 380 is 17mm case length while 9mm is 19mm in length. Both have bullet diameter of nominally 0.355 inch.
tector

Post by tector »

I can't prove this, but given the development of highly effective defensive round technologies in the past 20 years or so, a top-notch 2023 .380 defensive round is probably just about as effective as the 9mm defensive rounds commonly used back in the 90s.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Like I figured Tector,its the equivalent of a 9mm "short" and if seven rounds of that won't make a man cry for momma,well then I'll go to something bigger,LOL. No plans,hahaha but it is a lot lighter to carry all the time.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

In fact, the Germans call .380 “9mm Kurz,”
Kurz being “short” in German.

I also agree with Tector that modern defensive rounds narrow the gap in effectiveness. I don’t know that it’s enough to make me pick a .380 over a 9mm, but if it’s all I had or could put my hands on, I wouldn’t feel unprotected carrying one with good modern ammo.