reciprocity ?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
45caldan

reciprocity ?

Post by 45caldan »

I am traveling from FL to VA up I-95.
Am I GTG with my concealed permit all the way?
Thanks for a quick and easy (for me) response!
cal45

Post by cal45 »

45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Thanks and no VA is as far north as I’m going!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I always stop just past the truck scales at the bridge to unload and pack away before touching the bridge,thats where the Md. line starts heading north ..
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

If you ever need to go to PA, you can take I-81 north in VA to West Va and cross the Potomac there. it's only a very short distance (less than 10 minutes and 13 miles) through Hagerstown, Md, and then you'll be in PA quickly. The chances of it being patrolled actively are far less than other routes through MD. Of course, there's always the potential for a rogue MD State Trooper doing RADAR duty, but there won't likely be MTAP there. Those are the ones about which you really have to worry. Their focus is, primarily, the Baltimore Harbor tunnels. They're not as prevalent on the bridges, etc. But they're the ones with the ALPR cameras and have a connection to the MCAC database. If your CWFL is prior to say 2012, you might be on their old database, as was Mr John Fillipidis.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

thanks for all the info.
Saved me from having to google it! LOL
tector

Post by tector »

Last I looked, both Carolinas are "must disclose upfront" states. So if you get pulled over in either, be aware.

In 2015 my wife and I drove to VA to visit my BIL. From there we were going to Niagara Falls and Toronto, then to Michigan (then home). So in VA I Fed Exed our guns to an FFL in Michigan, picked them up there for the drive home.
Last edited by tector on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

That’s good to know.
I will try to not get pulled over but stuff happens…
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

tector wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:17 pm Last I looked, both Carolinas are "must disclose upfront" states. So if you get pulled over in either, be aware.

In 2015 my wife and I drove to VA to visit my BIL. From there we were going to Niagara Falls and Toronto, then to Michigan (then home). So in VA I Fed Exed our guns to an FFL in Michigan, picked them up there for the drive home.
Good point on "must disclose." There may be reciprocity, but one has to follow local law.

Question on the FFL bit. What sort of arrangement did you make with the FFL? Did the guns have to go through his book, and did you have to do a transfer back to pick them up? Quite a good idea. I might travel Northeast at some point, and likely would go the W. Va route to PA; the problem begins in NY State, until one reaches VT.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
tector

Post by tector »

REDinFL wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:02 am
tector wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:17 pm Last I looked, both Carolinas are "must disclose upfront" states. So if you get pulled over in either, be aware.

Good point on "must disclose." There may be reciprocity, but one has to follow local law.

Question on the FFL bit. What sort of arrangement did you make with the FFL? Did the guns have to go through his book, and did you have to do a transfer back to pick them up? Quite a good idea. I might travel Northeast at some point, and likely would go the W. Va route to PA; the problem begins in NY State, until one reaches VT.
I had no luck calling gun shops in MI--it was like they couldn't understand what I needed to do. So I went over to the Michigan equivalent of FSN (https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forum.php) and asked for help. I don't remember the technical aspects (8 years is a long time ago for my old brain) but I think it was like a transfer to an FFL for repairs, where the gun always remains yours. Obviously I paid the man (who was good guy anyways) and had no hassles.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”