Great deal on a SUV

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Great deal on a SUV

Post by Wulfmann »

So I am looking for a 2nd vehicle and this 2018 Honda CRV pops up for $12,700 with 51,000 miles and it is near me so seeing it posted a few minutes from when I went on.

I email the woman and say I will take it, skeptical

She replies at 4:30AM EST and says:
Hi,My name is Linda and I'm emailing you about the 2018 Honda CR-V EX-L with a gasoline engine, automatic transmission and only 51,386 miles. Never had or needed any paint/body work done, garage kept always, without any mechanical problems.Tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The 1.5L V4 engine runs very well and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. The price was reduced to $12,700 because this vehicle was a gift for my husband, who, unfortunately, can't enjoy it anymore because he passed away 2 months ago because of Covid-19.I'm trying to get rid of it asap because it brings back a lot of memories. I also got a new job and moved to my sister in Chicago,IL and the vehicle is here with me.Many other things have priority now so it has to go. If you are interested in buying my car, feel free to email me!

Thank you

Notice:
"with gasoline engine" electric is working perfectly, transmission shift perfectly, and moved to my sister in Chicago,IL" all not like an American would "normally" phrase it and if she is in Chicago it was 3:30AM when she emailed me.
Seems like it would be mid morning in Lagos, Mumbai or Moscow

My reply (Couldn't resist)
I am interested. I have friends in Chicago that can come and see the car.
Can I get the address where it can be seen?
I will fly up to get the car if all goes correctly (We all know it is in a sealed container and must be shipped after I pay site unseen)

Better than the old tired version of this scam but not quite
revelation

Post by revelation »

Ask her for the VIN number.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I'll bet, if you send her a cashier's check she'll cover the transport of the vehicle back to you; no need for you to come up. Money back guarantee, of course.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

She took the bait, why not she has nothing to lose
Here is her reply

I'm very busy with my work and I can't afford meetings/calls with every potential buyer , so I chose eBay to take care of everything.The vehicle is already at eBay Company in Chicago,IL ready to be delivered.I can provide free delivery as I have a promotional free shipping card.The shipping will take 2 days.They will send the vehicle with all the papers ( title,bill of sale, full service records, owner's manual, books, etc ).You will have 5 days to test and inspect the car, and if it doesn't look like you expect you can return it back on my expense,but I assure you that won't be the case. In case you accept the car you must contact eBay and ask them to release the funds to me.This is how they protect both parties. I think this is more than fair for both of us.

If you agree, email me your full name,shipping address and ph number.eBay will contact you with further details about the process.Thank you!

I will reply and say I work for eBay and there is no such department at eBay. I will then ask be honest are you in Lagos, Mumbai or Moscow
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Create a fake email account and send her a note from a Nigeria Prince congratulating her that she just won the Nigeria Lottery and she needs to send a wire for $10,000 to cover taxes and she will be sent her $20,000,000 grand prize. :lol:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

It seems like 95% of the vehicles posted these days are outright scams.

If you post anything related to guns for sale, people will report you and it will get taken down quick. But if you report a scam, they stay up.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

zeebaron wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:16 pm It seems like 95% of the vehicles posted these days are outright scams.

If you post anything related to guns for sale, people will report you and it will get taken down quick. But if you report a scam, they stay up.
That's the truth.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

It all reminds me of an email I got several years ago telling me my $14,000,000 payment in cash was waiting in the Atlanta Airport. I was to send money for a courier to bring it to me in FL. I wrote back (admittedly, alcohol was involved) that there was no problem, and that I happened to be in Marietta and could come to the airport in an hour. Naturally, there would be a substantial gratuity for those meeting me. Here's where the alcohol kicked in. I told them, in strictest confidence that I was the chief of the local KGB office here, and I had been assigned to move an office from Lagos, Nigeria to Benin, and that's what the money was for. I used Benin as that was the origination address for the email. That email also cc'd someone in France. I never heard from them again, but fantasized that the monitors on the other end got their local police to raid these obvious "foreign agents." African police are not gentle. And, despite what we get from the Inspector Clouseau character, le Surete is tough.
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

Those are usually easy to spot. I had one for a firearm on a different forum for what seemed like a lower than normal price. I told the seller I'd buy it and he gave me the address to send a postal money order. (Normally I don't send POMO unless to a verified FFL if from another state.) The address was in my town! I went knocking on the door. Should have seen the look on the woman's face when I accused her of soliciting a scam. I reported to local police but nothing could be done unless money was exchanged. ALWAYS have to beware if price appears lower than normal.
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."