Brass knuckles

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
ss1

Brass knuckles

Post by ss1 »

A buddy and I were reminiscing about the weapons we used to have when we were teens ie butterfly knives, throwing stars, fish beater bats and brass knuckles. This made me think about buying a pair of “paper weight” knuckles but it not clear if mere possession is illegal in FL. One source says the sale and manufacture is illegal in FL but “purchasing” and “possessing” one is not against the law. Most other references say it is illegal but maybe because it appears to be illegal to use them for defense. As I said, I’m just looking for a paperweight and conversation piece. Anyone with practical knowledge and is interstate sales “ok”?
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

I am pretty sure Chapter 790 directly addresses knucks.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I can read and use Google foo but I can’t find anything about possession. The only thing I could find is:

790.09 Manufacturing or selling metallic knuckles.—Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured or sells or exposes for sale any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as metallic knuckles commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083

Maybe there is case law or something or maybe some stupid local ordinances in SFL counties that make this a endeavor not worth pursuing. I don’t really know and I sure as heck don’t want to jeopardize my gun ownership over something as stupid as knuckles when a baton works as well or better….. just looking for someone maybe with personal experience with this.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

No, under a Concealed Weapons and Firearms License (CWFL) in Florida it is illegal to conceal carry Brass Knuckles. Florida Statute 790.06 in relevant part states, “ [f]or the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie …”. Therefore, even though possession of Brass knuckles is legal in Florida, you may not carry Brass Knuckles concealed, even if you have a CWFL.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Yeah, I wasn't planning on concealed carry, just keeping them on the desk as a paperweight and a conversation piece. I was just worried that buying them online from an out of state seller would get me in trouble. You know, like all of the select fire control groups you can buy on gunbroker. :? Decided that it wasn't even worth pursuing anymore. Thanks tho.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Would make a nice paper weight.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Someone should make 80% brass knuckles with the one finger hole undrilled.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Yeah, 80% knucks ! I like it !
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

These old weapon laws give me a chuckle, you can carry a gun but not brass knuckles? A firearm is an equalizer because it doesn't rely on your physicality to do its job but if you couldn't get it done with your bare fist you aren't going to get it done with knucks. Along those lines a roll of quarters is a classic that still works and is legal. When I was a kid we used to use our Buck knives as fist loads, with those thick brass bolsters they weighed about half a pound. :shock:
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I want the one Rene Russo brass knuckles in the Thomas crown movie.