Ace's Gun range in Miami.

Ace's Gun range in Miami.

Postby AfroNerd » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 pm

I've been to this place a couple of times and never liked it for many reasons. However, after being bored tonight and killing some time by going to various range websites, I stumbled upon this little gem from their site:

The following brands are no longer permited in our range:

Wolf
Silver Bear
Brown Bear
Golden Bear
American Ammunition
Sellier and Bellot
Reloads (Hand loads are permited)

Now I will definitely not go back. I'm assuming this is based on greed since they can't make too much money reselling the cases from this type of ammo (Sellier and Bellot doesn't seem to fit in with the others on the list), but none of the other ranges I go to seem to have an issue simply recycling or throwing them out. Also, a little strange not to see the aluminum cased cci blazer ammo on there.

If anyone knows of another reason for this, let me know and maybe I'll feel better.
AfroNerd
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ace's Gun range in Miami.

Postby MJLittman » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm

AfroNerd wrote:I've been to this place a couple of times and never liked it for many reasons. However, after being bored tonight and killing some time by going to various range websites, I stumbled upon this little gem from their site:

The following brands are no longer permited in our range:

Wolf
Silver Bear
Brown Bear
Golden Bear
American Ammunition
Sellier and Bellot
Reloads (Hand loads are permited)

Now I will definitely not go back. I'm assuming this is based on greed since they can't make too much money reselling the cases from this type of ammo (Sellier and Bellot doesn't seem to fit in with the others on the list), but none of the other ranges I go to seem to have an issue simply recycling or throwing them out. Also, a little strange not to see the aluminum cased cci blazer ammo on there.

If anyone knows of another reason for this, let me know and maybe I'll feel better.

Interesting post and I mirror your feelings about this place. I went a half dozen times but decided, for, as you state, many reasons, not to go back unless I had to.

Private ranges are certainly permitted to make up the rules they choose to place on the conduct of their clients on the range. On the other hand I will simply not shoot at a place that will tell me what I can shoot. Ace's, frankly, ought to be more concerned about an accidental shooting from what I observed was basically a totally un-controlled shooting gallery with all sorts of nut cases, wannabes, gangstas, and totally untrained neophytes rather than state to their clients what ammo they can shoot. In my case it is machts nichts as I have become used to Trail Glades and am happy to linger on the range for hours as is my habit.
Last edited by MJLittman on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJLittman
BANNED

Postby G_Loc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Wow... The times I've gone they always do the magnet test on suspicious ammo and Wolf has always failed
G_Loc
Life Member
Life Member

Postby AfroNerd » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 pm

LOL, I forgot about the magnetic tests they do on ammo. Wolf ammo fails because of the case, not the bullet (projectile). They're worried about steel core ammo bouncing around instead of flattening like lead against the backstop. If that's their reason, then they need a lesson in basic bullet design. They should use a $20 kinetic bullet puller once on just one wolf bullet and see once and for all that the bullet is like most other brands (just not as fine tuned) and made out of lead with a little copper.

However, this doesn't explain the other brands on their list.
AfroNerd
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby MJLittman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:07 pm

AfroNerd wrote:LOL, I forgot about the magnetic tests they do on ammo. Wolf ammo fails because of the case, not the bullet (projectile). They're worried about steel core ammo bouncing around instead of flattening like lead against the backstop. If that's their reason, then they need a lesson in basic bullet design. They should use a $20 kinetic bullet puller once on just one wolf bullet and see once and for all that the bullet is like most other brands (just not as fine tuned) and made out of lead with a little copper.

However, this doesn't explain the other brands on their list.

I agree. It sounds like they are taking their cue from the private ranges in Palm Beach County. After having a firearm pointed at me several times by the other shooters I said I was not going back any time soon and this just clinches the deal for me. Hey I am a poor servant of the people. I cannot afford their $10 an hour range time (in my case always rounded up to the next hour) so, as I said, I will just have to suffer with the peons and miscreants at Trail Glades! It sure aint shooting as I recall it growing up in Dade County but at least it is shooting! :-k
Last edited by MJLittman on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJLittman
BANNED

Postby MiamiE » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Aces is one of the unsafest ranges I have ever been to if not the #1 on that list. I will NEVER go back!
MiamiE
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby cvasqu03 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:31 pm

G_Loc wrote:Wow... The times I've gone they always do the magnet test on suspicious ammo and Wolf has always failed

Yup, but that's BS. I'm pretty sure they know it's not steel core steel case. Once when I went with some reloads I'd made that definitely DID pass the magnet test, they seemed genuinely annoyed that they couldn't stop me from bringing it in.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.
cvasqu03
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby jim640 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:55 pm

I used to like ACE. Nice staff, always pleasant to me. Then I found out about their "rent our guns, buy our ammo" policy. It's bad enough that their gun rentals are expensive, but now I gotta buy their ammo too? Come on, I'm shooting WWB, not some hot relaods. No way. I'll stick to Trail Glades.
Last edited by jim640 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim640
Life Member
Life Member

Postby MiamiE » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:49 pm

I rather shoot under supervision at Trail Glades and Markham, plus the echo is terrible.
MiamiE
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby G_Loc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:29 pm

I used to shoot there pretty often and I bought my first rifle and handgun from there. Sucks to hear all these comments that its gone downhill #-o
G_Loc
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Glades » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 am

#-o LOL, let us gun folks just rip apart our own ranges!

Is this unity?

Sounds like a bit of triteful stuff. ss :eek
Glades
BANNED

Postby AfroNerd » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:09 am

Gladesgirl, just being a gun range, gun store, or even a gun owner is not reason enough for everyone to forget about everything else they may be doing wrong. It's also not triteful when it forces people like me to drive longer because this range is no longer tollerable. Also, the changes at this range seem to be a trend. If not kept in check by us choosing not to use them until they change back, then soon we will all have to start buying $16/box 9mm ammo plus tax.

Also, yes this is Unity. Unity in trying to salvage a range before it's too late. Not to mention when we find a good range or store we post about that too. If this had been a post about the city trying to close a range down just to build a mall, I'm sure the unity would extend to help prevent it.

I'm sure no one would care that someone owned a gun range if that person had just crashed into your car with no insurance.
AfroNerd
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby miamitj » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm in the process of a transfer with aces -- the staff is the rudest, most arrogant, ignorant group of people I have ever dealt with. Not only will I never step in that place again, I will post a VERY thorough review of my experience once my item is in my hand and they can no longer %$#$% with me.

I guarantee after understanding and seeing what I have been put through most of you will never enter that place again.

Almost ALL other "range/gun store review" threads including posts here have mirrored my opinion of them. This place needs to be closed down or ownership needs to change. There are better options in Miami than aces (Charlies, Lous come to mind for purchases/transfers and Florida Gun range comes to mind as an indoor range)
miamitj
Life Member
Life Member

Postby 281 quadcam » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:23 pm

A friend of mine shot there a couple weeks ago and warned me of his debacle. They were rude, and seemed to be annoyed to allow shooters to shoot there at all... Being forced to buy their ammo was his smallest complaint about the experience.

He was impressed with Big Al's which I had thought is getting a little funny at this point too.
281 quadcam

Postby AfroNerd » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Yeah, there was a time where I stopped going to Big Al's because of the wacky people they had working there, but they're the only range I've seen who's fee hasn't gone way up. I respect them for that. I love going with all my own stuff for several hours and only forking over $5.50 plus tax. Also, they have recently renovated the range so you don't have to worry about target movers not moving and the like. However, the only normal person working there is some guy named Bruce. The others are a little weird or rude. Just don't forget that it is still a gun range and the range fee is the only reasonably priced thing there.

American gun range is a couple blocks away and not too bad. $8/hour for the range instead of $5.50/day like Big Al's but the range is in slightly better shape and would make a nice change of scenery every once in a while when you get tired of Big Al's.
AfroNerd
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby HighStrung1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:13 am

Gladesgirl wrote:#-o LOL, let us gun folks just rip apart our own ranges!

Is this unity?

OMFG!

What can be said that hasn't been said already? ](*,)

:eek
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fu-king beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
HighStrung1

Postby miamitj » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:04 am

Gladesgirl wrote:#-o LOL, let us gun folks just rip apart our own ranges!

Is this unity?

Ace's is NOT in it for the community -- for as much as I'm concerned(and many others here), they treat the "community" members like crap and their establishment should be avoided like the plague.
miamitj
Life Member
Life Member

Postby 281 quadcam » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:55 pm

I feel no more loyalty to any range for simply being a range than I do to a car dealership simply because I like cars.

If all the ranges close up because people become fed up with their antics - the guilt will not be on any of our heads. People in South Florida are absolutely hungry for decent ranges and are willing to pay - some would even go so far as to help or contribute services to keep them up.

I don't feel any range-owner is doing me a favor by allowing me to pay him, and I take offense at the very notion.
281 quadcam

Postby Glades » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 pm

I have 1st hand wittnessed both that cry and scream for ranges, but do not understand that, when people are left to "honor", they do not have the far-sight to know the consequences of their own indecent behavior.

I have witnessed cries and whinning from people about ammunition prices, but I have seen $30,000 guns, with over $300,00 colections and above.

I would like to see South Florida, be in unity. Things are probably going to be much worse for us all soon.

I believe, support your local ranges, even if it seems difficult at tis time. Even Trial Glades and Markum Park. ss :smile
Glades
BANNED

Postby MiamiE » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Markham Park and Trail Glades are the two best ones IMO. I would gladly support them, especially Markham and their staff.
MiamiE
Executive Member
Executive Member

Next

Return to South Florida