Companion Guns: What makes them so appealing? PCC Thread

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

Companion Guns: What makes them so appealing? PCC Thread

Post by Miami_JBT »

American of the 20th Century grew up on stories of Mountain Men, Cowboys, Outlaws, and Rugged Heroes in the wilds. The popularity of TV westerns in the 50s and 60s solidified the popularity of the pistol caliber carbine and revolver combo and by the 80s and 90s. The semi auto carbine and pistol was here to stay due to the action flicks of the era.

Guns like the MP5, Thompson, and Uzi all showed the popularity and potential of the pistol caliber SMG. But there was that one issue that all these guns suffered from. The magazines weren't compatible with pistols. But the industry came to the rescue. Guns like the Marlin Camp Carbine, Ruger Police Carbine, and others.

Then the industry changed and suddenly, pistol caliber carbine companion guns weren't in vogue anymore. The SBR AR-15 became the new go to gun.

But the fans of the companion guns never gave up. When Ruger and Marlin ceased production of their guns. Three others stepped up to the plate. Kel-Tec, Beretta, and Hi-Point. I grew up fascinated with PCCs and loved the idea of sharing magazines between guns and ammo. For me as a kid, it started with a Ruger Single Six and a Winchester 94/22. I loved the idea of my revolver and lever action being able to shoot .22 Magnum. As I grew older, I played with the Marlin Camp 9 and Ruger PC .40. Great guns and wished they still made them.

The Beretta CX4 came out and as a Beretta 92 owner. I loved it except for the price. The Hi-Ppint while affordable, put me off since their guns only worked with their pistols. But Kel-Tec hit the nail straight on the head. Make a gun work with different mags. The Glock was hugely popular and they made the SUB-9 and later the the SUB-2000 work with them along with the other popular period pistols. The S&W 3rd Gens, Sulig P22x guns, and of course the Beretta 92/96 line.

I of course snagged a SUB-2000 in .40 S&W in Glock mags.

And now I also have a Ruger PC9, which in my humble opinion. They got it right. What is funny is back when the original Ruger Police Carbine was made, Lone Wolf modified a couple to work off Glock mags. And ever since then, those guns were always in demand. Ruger learned from that did it right.

I believe we're in a second renaissance regarding companion guns. Between Kel-Tec, Ruger, all the AR builds, and others. Including the still continued popularity of the lever actions. I see them continuing to be developed and sold.

To me personally, the companion gun was and is part of fabric that makes up American Gun Culture. It harkens back to the idea of being a Cowboy on his Horse.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Magazine compatibility between handguns and carbines is a pointless consideration.

Nobody wants a carbine that only holds 15 rounds, nobody wants a handgun with a 33 rd mag sticking out of it.

Commonality of ammo is one thing, both mags accept the same round and are generally more affordable to shoot.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

SteyrAUG wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm Magazine compatibility between handguns and carbines is a pointless consideration.

Nobody wants a carbine that only holds 15 rounds, nobody wants a handgun with a 33 rd mag sticking out of it.

Commonality of ammo is one thing, both mags accept the same round and are generally more affordable to shoot.
But people sure as hell like the option.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

I have the Ruger PC9 and and my G26 as my bug out combo. And lots of high cap mags. They are perfect in my opinion to fit in the pack together.
The shooter formerly called #1Glock30
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

SteyrAUG wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm Nobody wants a carbine that only holds 15 rounds, nobody wants a handgun with a 33 rd mag sticking out of it.
The Ruger PC9 holds Glock high cap mags with the Glock magwell inserted so more than 15 rounds. Hell put a drum on it if you want. As far as the pistol goes what is wrong with having the option of 33 rnds inserted. As far as affordability I don't even consider that as part of the debate.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I've always thought of "companion guns" from a collectors stance.

IE a Makarov with your AK47 , a P38 with your Mauser, a 1911 with your Garand etc
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I'd like a Thompson. Yes, it's impractical from many standpoints but, I have a photo of my dad in WWII with one. Other than that, I'd rather have my 12ga. In the Old West, sure, a companion gun saves carrying different types of ammo. I'd just as soon not duplicate capability with something larger and heavier; if I have to carry something, let it offer me better performance.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Miami_JBT wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 am
SteyrAUG wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm Magazine compatibility between handguns and carbines is a pointless consideration.

But people sure as hell like the option.
Technically a .410 shotgun with a Taurus Judge is a combo option, I'm just not sure it's a very good one nor do I understand the inherent practicality. If it's just "because I want to" then sure, go ahead and have fun. I'm just not seeing the uber tactical advantage like what existed with .45LC carbines and revolvers over 100 years ago.
Grip Hugger wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:18 am
The Ruger PC9 holds Glock high cap mags with the Glock magwell inserted so more than 15 rounds. Hell put a drum on it if you want. As far as the pistol goes what is wrong with having the option of 33 rnds inserted. As far as affordability I don't even consider that as part of the debate.
Sure you could, just not sure I'd want to depend on a Ruger PC9 as my survival carbine. Given the compactness of AR's these days, the only thing I really look to for my PCC is a very quiet suppressor package. I couldn't care less if it uses the same magazine as my handgun.
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

My PCC/pistol companions are a Marlin model 1894fg and S&W Model 57.
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

SteyrAUG wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:46 am
Grip Hugger wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:18 am
Sure you could, just not sure I'd want to depend on a Ruger PC9 as my survival carbine. Given the compactness of AR's these days, the only thing I really look to for my PCC is a very quiet suppressor package. I couldn't care less if it uses the same magazine as my handgun.
I see your point from reading some reviews on the PC9 but there are lots of good reviews also. If a gun is tried and true not to be problematic then I am convinced as to it's reliability. Same as all of my carry guns, to be carried they have to go through the reliability testing period. They either are or not. There have been plenty of AR issues also. I have AR's so I am not anti-AR but there are options for each person. Your opinion is different from mine. That's okay but my opinion is from actually owning one and I know it is dependable even when it dries up a bit after running a bunch of rounds through it.