Dirt bike question(s) and video(s)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

I got the Yamaha bike today. Fuck why is it so tall?! I’m 6’4” and I can’t flatfoot it!!! But I’m 40 lbs less than previous rider. Do I need to tweak rear shock? Otherwise I love love love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

Take some preload off the rear shock and test rise it. That should make it a bit softer for you.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
George W

Post by George W »

MX bikes weren't made to be flat footed. The height is to give suspension travel. Lowering the bike will sacrifice travel length and preserve ride quality. Softening the suspension will get the height down when your weight is on it, but will sacrifice travel length and ride quality.

Advice: Ride it as is for a while before changing anything. Guys a lot shorter and lighter than you are riding and racing the same bike as yours, and some even taller.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Gunnyhiway wrote:Take some preload off the rear shock and test rise it. That should make it a bit softer for you.
By turning up two screws holding the shock? There’s also an air component to it but I think that regulates speed of response. Are you close to Coral Springs?

Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

armedpolak wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Gunnyhiway wrote:Take some preload off the rear shock and test rise it. That should make it a bit softer for you.
By turning up two screws holding the shock? There’s also an air component to it but I think that regulates speed of response. Are you close to Coral Springs?

The preload should be a ring under the bottom of the spring.
It may screw up or down or have a thin wire clip that can be moved up or down for that ring to set on.

I moved up to the Ocala area from Ft. Lauderdale in 1992 to see my parents before it was too late.
I was able to hang with them for many years and I'm happy I decided to go.
I decided to stay and enjoy it awhile.
Dad and me buried the hatchet as they say, long time comin.

I raced MX at the now defunct Andytown MX track, Miami Hollywood drag strip MX track and the Amelia Earhart track in Hialeah.
It was a great time.

I then moved to Ocala the 1st time in 1974 and raced some REAL tracks for 3 years like Gatorback in Gville, Chicken Farm in Inverness and Ocala MX track in Citra.
I then went back to Hollywood.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
gforester

Post by gforester »

Measure the rear ride height with the rear suspension fully extended. Then measure the ride height with you in the saddle with riding gear on. When the rear preload is set correctly you should see about 3.5 to 4 inches less height than when the rear suspension is fully extended. This worked very well for me when racing in enduros and hare scrambles in Florida terrain.
Hippie

Post by Hippie »

armedpolak wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm

The preload on the shock is softened by turning counter clockwise on the “nut” ring above the spring. The ring has notches so you can use a spammer wrench or knock it with a big flat screwdriver and hammer. Shoot for 4” of sag (diff between full extended and you sitting on the bike with you feet on the pegs)

Yamaha suspension is so plush. You will love the bike.

Also Yamaha sells a seat that is 3/4” lower if height is a problem. It’s more of an issue for trail riding than MX, but try the sag adjustment first. At your height you should be good.
Last edited by Hippie on Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.