Pawn Broker stops selling guns due to recent event

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!

Pawn Broker stops selling guns due to recent event

Postby BMW GUY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:40 pm

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/g ... it-anymore

SEMINOLE, Fla. - As a pawn shop owner, Frank James was always a big believer in gun rights and the second amendment. After all, it was his bread and butter business. But after what he saw in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday, he's had a change of heart. "I basically broke into tears and looked up on the wall, seeing the types of firearms I am selling," James said.

At the Loan Star Pawn store in Seminole, a glass display case that once housed several Bushmaster AR-15 assault rifles is now empty. The glass counters normally filled with handguns has been completely cleared.

"I'm not going to be part of it anymore," James said. He has several copies of the exact rifle suspected in the massacre.

"The model, the brand, everything," he said.

The father of four said he was especially touched knowing that his youngest child, a six-year old daughter, was the same age as many of those children who were shot to death.
"I dropped my daughter off at school this morning. That was enough for me," James said. "Conscience wins over making money."

The store manager came into the pawn shop Monday and saw James taking down signs advertising guns, and asked him what was going on.

"He said don't take the guns out of the safe. We're no longer selling them," said Leia Thomas. "I was shocked."

In an era of high gold prices and a slow economy that keeps many people from spending, Thomas was worried that without firearms sales, the business will suffer.

"I battled him and definitely debated that decision a lot, but I think it was the right one," she said. "As long as he has a clear conscience."

James said he thought long and hard over the weekend about what can happen after he sells somebody a firearm. He considered the possibility that the shooter's mother could have bought weapons from his store.

"I probably would have sold a firearm to that woman thinking she's buying it for her own defense, and then something like that happens," he said, referring to Friday's massacre. "That's something I couldn't live with."

His store is filled with nostalgia, like vintage telephones and cash registers. Guitars hang on the back wall, and fishing poles are displayed overhead. There's even a few sealed boxes of discontinued Hostess treats in a display case.

But twinkle sales can't come close to the thousands of dollars worth of guns he could have sold.

"It'll probably cause my business to go out of business," James said. "I couldn't live with myself if one of my firearms went out, got in the wrong hands and killed an innocent person, let alone a child," he said.

"We need more gun control."

Do we need more gun control ?
BMW GUY
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Pawn Broker stops selling guns due to recent event

Postby Rentprop1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 pm

so I guess he can live with himself buying stolen merchandise from meth tweakers and contributing to the delinquency of society ....

I hope he fails
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Big_Mike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 am

Call (727) 391-8833, ask for James, let him know how you feel. f/;k James.
Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics
Big_Mike
Contributor
Contributor

Postby WhoUtink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 am

This place is close by for me. I have never seen cars there at the pawn shop or the coin shop next store. I don't drive by that often but I noticed that parking area is always empty when I do. They were probably failing already.
great stuff and junk
WhoUtink
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby AirForceShooter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 am

it's his business.
He's entitled to run it how ever he wants.

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington
AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Postby TheHobbiest » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:54 am

I have never seen a good deal at a pawn shop on anything. Much less on guns. Its most likely the owners way of drawing customers from the anti crowd. I don't frequent pawn shops for alot of reasons as is.
John Hancock
TheHobbiest
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby avmech » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 am

Probably just wants to keep them for himself.......
avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Water Rat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 am

Bullshit frank. This is a publicity stunt to garner sales on the backs of dead kids.

If you are truly against selling guns anymore then you will take them out of your safe and make a video of you melting them down to prove it. Otherwise your just another scum sucking pawn shop owner that takes advantage of the poor.
Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Postby tector » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 am

I'll be more interested in what Walmart, Gander, Dicks, etc. do. See my next new post.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM
http://www.copblock.org/
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift
But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.-Jefferson
Homo homini lupus
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Postby rjroberts » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 am

avmech wrote:Probably just wants to keep them for himself.......

I saw the news piece and interview on Bay news 9. He put on a good face but I didn't hear him say exactly what he was going to DO with them. My cynical nature (born of almost 66 years on this corrupt planet) suspects they will be locked up, possibly at home, and re-sold next year sometime, probably as private sales. The pricing will be interesting. For those who like technicalities, IF he were to give up his FFL, he needs merely to transfer them to himself on his book, and turn the book in to ATF who will warehouse it.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that Bears a Single Star
rjroberts
Contributor
Contributor

Postby molivo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am

Water Rat wrote:Bullshit frank. This is a publicity stunt to garner sales on the backs of dead kids.

If you are truly against selling guns anymore then you will take them out of your safe and make a video of you melting them down to prove it. Otherwise your just another scum sucking pawn shop owner that takes advantage of the poor.

"Im not selling guns anymore (in my store). They are all on gunbroker where they are getting record prices."
[smilie=011.gif]
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL

WE TAKE TRADES!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140
molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Return to General Discussions