User mention

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

And this # is the pound sign not a hashtag..... fucking millennials changing everything :roll:
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

rentprop1 wrote:And this # is the pound sign not a hashtag..... fucking millennials changing everything :roll:
Not very bright, some of them. Remember the girls wearing the #metoo t-shirts? Image
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Legio wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 am
FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 pm Oh and, not to be anal, but... "@" is the "at sign." Ampersand is "&" :mrgreen:
You are right. I wanted to show off with a fancy word and got caught. That word was supposed to be “arobase” which is not even English. Original post corrected.
I'm doing a part time job now where I teach "English" to South Koreans remotely, by Internet. Therefore, I have to be absolutely precise when I'm teaching Grammar, pronunciation, etc., because the South Koreans are very smart and quick to pick up on things. I thought of you, yesterday (i.e. "French by Birth, American by Choice") when I had to mention to a student that the word "buffet" was "old French" in origin and, in this case, the "dining" context (as oppose to the fighting/blow context). My student had wondered why we Americans would adopt the "French" pronunciation as opposed to the British... (eg. "fillet" (filay) French vsl "fill it" British).

Ah well.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Legio wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 am
FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 pm Oh and, not to be anal, but... "@" is the "at sign." Ampersand is "&" :mrgreen:
You are right. I wanted to show off with a fancy word and got caught. That word was supposed to be “arobase” which is not even English. Original post corrected.
My student had wondered why we Americans would adopt the "French" pronunciation as opposed to the British... (eg. "fillet" (filay) French vsl "fill it" British).

Ah well.
Revolutions tend to make you biased, I guess.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

[mention]FfNJGTFO[/mention] I didn’t even know that the Brits were pronouncing it the way you said. I often have a hard time understanding the English English.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

rentprop1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:49 am And this # is the pound sign not a hashtag..... fucking millennials changing everything :roll:
Funny you mention it... Asians (especially Japanese) would call this "#" a "sharp" rather than pound, due to its music context. Tells ya where their heads are....
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Legio wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:07 am @FfNJGTFO I didn’t even know that the Brits were pronouncing it the way you said. I often have a hard time understanding the English English.
It causes problems for my teaching, as well. One of the most powerful teaching tools I can offer my students is "YouTube." If a student goes on and searches for "Learning English," they'll be presented with a ton of videos they can use to watch that narrate stories in perfect English, along with subtitles they can follow. The only problem being, most are narrated in "British" English, not "American" English. Thus, I have to warn my students that they might hear a few differences in pronunciation, but the differences are not that significant (i.e. they're not narrating in "Cockney" or something like that... ) :mrgreen:
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 am
rentprop1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:49 am And this # is the pound sign not a hashtag..... fucking millennials changing everything :roll:
Funny you mention it... Asians (especially Japanese) would call this "#" a "sharp" rather than pound, due to its music context. Tells ya where their heads are....
In the US as well. The programming language C# is called C-Sharp. In french, the says Dièse (found on music partitions) which translate to Sharp.