Another Stand Your Ground Shooting Rejected

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

An d the more this kind of crap goes on, the more likely it is that SYG will get changed.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Gmountain wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm An d the more this kind of crap goes on, the more likely it is that SYG will get changed.
IMHO it is evidence that the law is working as advertised. The Leftist firearms phobics who are against it lie continuously, especially when they publish statistics. They never bother to account for the time before SYG when aggressive prosecutors would regularly hold useless, expensive trials and get a jury decision of Not Guilty because of self defense, or the loss to society of the innocent who accept plea bargains or are convicted because they can't afford a decent lawyer.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Nothing with this case has anything to do with SYG. It was straight up murder.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

I agree that he was not justified in any way.
I live in Lakekand and have bought from him a few times.
I know he has a lot of low lives hanging around his shop.
I'm sure the anger has been building for a while thus causing this event to unfold....
I don't feel sorry for Dunn but I also can't help but feel he did the Public a Service....
chester field

Post by chester field »

jjk308 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am
Gmountain wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm An d the more this kind of crap goes on, the more likely it is that SYG will get changed.
IMHO it is evidence that the law is working as advertised. The Leftist firearms phobics who are against it lie continuously, especially when they publish statistics. They never bother to account for the time before SYG when aggressive prosecutors would regularly hold useless, expensive trials and get a jury decision of Not Guilty because of self defense, or the loss to society of the innocent who accept plea bargains or are convicted because they can't afford a decent lawyer.
I agree. Clearly it is not the get out of jail free card that the antis said it would be.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
MikeFL86

Post by MikeFL86 »

Why was he stealing a hatchet from this guy's store instead of a Home Depot? What was he going to do with the hatchet? Some thief comes in and steals a hatchet from a visibly armed store owner and doesn't try to run or surrender?

That guy is crazy, stupid, or both. He was a danger to the public and when he turned, a danger to the shop owner. Drop the hatchet and surrender or drop the hatchet and run. If he had done either he'd still be alive today.

You can say that this was murder and legally speaking you might be correct, but I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for the "victim" who was in fact a criminal and likely deranged person who could've gone on to do god-knows-what with that hatchet.

Furthemore, this opens a can of worms in other cases. If someone tries to steal a brand new unloaded firearm from a gun store and leave are the owners justified in using lethal force to try to stop them? What about the potential danger to the public or others that person clearly poses? What about the signal it sends to criminals that as long as they don't go into a store guns blazing they really don't face any potential danger for their criminal acts?
MikeFL86

Post by MikeFL86 »

This state is trending toward Brazil-style street chaos with going after good people in cases like this and it's going to get worse when Gillum is governor and starts banning guns and spreading his nakedly corrupt politics throughout the state government.

You all need to be thinking long-term, not whether or not miscarriages of justice like prosecuting this guy make the law look better to antis who want to do away with it entirely anyway.
George W

Post by George W »

I have bought, sold, and traded with Mike Dunn for the better part of the last 20 years, including a few days after the shooting. The area around his shop isn't good at all, especially behind him to the East. There are numerous half way houses, crack houses, rehab centers, and soup kitchens there. His place has been shoplifted hundreds of times over the years. I can't help but feel like he just had enough..... I wanted to say "snapped", but I don't think he had a mental breakdown.... he just let his temper get away from him. The whole situation is sad to me. One man lost his life, and another will lose his freedom over a friggin hatchet.

The only upside is Mike put out a bunch of his personal collection for sale. My guess is to raise defense money. There might be some deals to be had.
Allme

Post by Allme »

Shooting a person in the back isn't right period, idiot knew what he was doing and should have stopped himself. NOW that Drejka guy in Clearwater was justified IMHO and I for one can't wait to see what John Trevino does to the SA, I hope he doesn't cop a plea. I don't care about the circumstances keep your hands to yourself and you won't get shot, WTF do we have stand your ground for anyway?
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Sorry, but I think the shooter owns this one. He initiated the confrontation over a cheap hatchet. He was apparently armed when he initiated it. It is hard to show he was afraid for his life. Maybe should have let it go or spoke to Dad who was on scene.