Sheriff Bob Gualtieri: Clearwater shooting fits 'Stand Your Ground'

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

tcpip95 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 am
jjk308 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am The shooter now has 3 lawyers. Ready for a 3 ring circus of a trial? :lol:
And McGlockton's family has secured Benjamin Crump (lawyer for Trayvon Martin's family) to add to the circus.
:lol: Just imagined Trump doing a press conference and going, "McGlockton could have been my son.".
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Skoll wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am
zeebaron wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:45 am I can only think of 3 incidences that the State decided to prosecute people who used the SYG defense: Zimmerman, ex-cop movie theater shooting, and this guy. All, IMHO, were douchebag bullies looking for a fight. Let's not pretend they're just picking who to charge at random, these are all obvious cases where it wasn't clear cut.
Zimmerman didn't use SYG, I don't know why people keep perpetuating this lie.
OK, well, he is still a dumbass.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 pm
Firemedic2000 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:53 pmSo let ask all of you here. How many believe the SYG law should be repealed. Because it seems alot of people would prosecute this man EVEN IF IT FELL INTO THE SYG GUIDE LINES[/b]
I don't think the law should be repealed. From a legal standpoint, if this does fall into SYG and whatnot, it is what it is. A "good shoot" in the eyes of the law. I think there is a certain degree of fuckery involved in this, legally. I see all this just being another way to attack SYG, they'll make a big media circus out of it. I just hope they don't fold to appease loud people.

But morally, I dunno. I think we (gun folk) have responsibilities, one of which being NOT instigating things that could easily escalate into a physical confrontation while packing heat. I think this guy, especially in light of previous incidents with him (The road rage police reports involving firearms, etc) makes the majority of legal, level-headed gun owning Americans look bad.

I think there's lessons to be learned from this...on both sides.

And I'm sure it sounds bad, but I do indeed think (and this isn't directly related to this incident) that some people need to be knocked on their ass or get roughed up sometimes to learn a lesson. I've been on both sides of an asskicking. Learning and teaching. Sometimes words don't work. If I shot everyone who knocked me on my ass (often rightfully so) I'd have a pretty decent body count.
I agree with everything you said. Well put
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

An update...Shooter Sounds Like A Genuine Douche-Nozzle:

https://www.mail.com/news/us/8756112-ne ... ge-hero1-5

Newly Released Records Show Lead-up To Parking Lot Shooting

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Florida authorities on Monday released hundreds of new pages in the case of a white man accused of fatally shooting a black man in a parking lot dispute in July. According to a transcript of Michael Drejka's interview with Pinellas County Sheriff's detectives, he said that if Markeis McGlockton had retreated, or even stayed still, he wouldn't have used his gun. But McGlockton's girlfriend, who was a witness to the incident, said McGlockton moved back.

September 24, 2018
The 70-page interview of Drejka sheds light on his thinking in the seconds before the shooting. Prosecutors on Aug. 13 charged Drejka with manslaughter. He's been released from the county jail on $100,000 bail.

Surveillance video from July 19 shows Drejka starting a confrontation over a parking space. McGlockton's girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, was seated in the couple's car with two of their children, ages 3 years and 4 months.

Jacobs, whose interview with officers was in the newly released documents, said after parking, the 28-year-old McGlockton had gone into the store. That's when another vehicle pulled up and a man later identified as Drejka got out and started looking at her car in the disabled spot, then started hassling her, saying, "'Well, you need to move your car,' and all this and this, you know, 'Cause, you know, I got family that's handicapped,' and all this and this. So, I'm saying, 'Dude, uh, no. I don't know you, so, you know, leave me alone.'"

The two exchanged more heated words. McGlockton then came out of the store and knocked Drejka to the pavement. "Markeis came running out and he pushed him," Jacobs said. "He was like, you know -- you know, um, 'Stay away from my girl,' or something, he said. And then all of a sudden, dude was on the ground, and he pulled out a gun and shot him."

Said Jacobs: "All he did was backed up. 'Cause, you know, anybody, you know, with a gun pointed at him, he gonna, you know, shut up and not say nothing." Drejka, who is 48, told a detective, "It happened so fast and that was that ... I was literally blindsided."

During the interview, the retired tree trimmer said he'd carried a gun since he was 22, and that people parking illegally in handicapped spots at that store was a pet peeve, and that he'd approached people before.

"Does it ever go through your mind ... that they might not take that right? That this might go sideways a little bit?" the detective asked. "Um, well, sure. But that's why I take precautions, as well," Drejka said.

When asked what kind of precautions, Drejka replied: "Well, I'm a very careful person and I have a permit." In an interview with a local TV station since his arrest, Drejka said that parking spaces for the disabled "have always touched a nerve" because his high school girlfriend and his mother-in-law used disabled parking spots.

McGlockton's family has been outspoken in their dismay over how the case was handled, and hired attorney Benjamin Crump, who gained national prominence representing the family of Trayvon Martin after the black teen's fatal shooting by a Hispanic man in 2012.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Now now. At least Michael Drejka didn't walk into someone else's apartment by mistake and shoot the occupant. But I guess that was OK since the SYG law doesn't apply to cops. :?

As a parting thought: Sheer stupidity and dumb blind chance obey no laws.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

jjk308 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am Now now. At least Michael Drejka didn't walk into someone else's apartment by mistake and shoot the occupant. But I guess that was OK since the SYG law doesn't apply to cops. :?
Huh? SYG had zero to do with the TX cop case. She was charged and fired. He was only charged after several weeks of public outrage. Apples/oranges, bro.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 am
jjk308 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am Now now. At least Michael Drejka didn't walk into someone else's apartment by mistake and shoot the occupant. But I guess that was OK since the SYG law doesn't apply to cops. :?
Huh? SYG had zero to do with the TX cop case. She was charged and fired. He was only charged after several weeks of public outrage. Apples/oranges, bro.
Sarcasm escapes some folks. :lol:
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

jjk308 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am
...and some folks don't understand how sarcasm works. 🙄
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:03 pm
jjk308 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am

...and some folks don't understand how sarcasm works. 🙄
Sorry you fell into the "sar chasm." :lol:
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news/re ... 1476340455

Dead guy was on MDMA, shooter was on anti-depressants, sleeping pills, large amounts of caffeine, and Xanax. What a cocktail.