Cruise suggestions???

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

jjk308 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am And I repeat - carnival ships are rowdy and drunken. You may like that atmosphere but I cannot tolerate it.
It's much less cut and dry than you claim. Carnival used to divide ships into brands by experience type much more than they do now. 3 night weekend cruise on a small ship out of Miami- yes, most people won't remember any of it. 8-14 night on the Carnival Glory and you'd have a crowd slightly less energetic than on Holland America...

If the destination is the goal, search it and find the dates that work ($/schedule). From the shortlist figure out the ship that best suits your needs.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Norwegian is probably the most popular. The issue is once you get off the ship you are very restricted on what you can do, your guide is only able to take you to approved places. The restaurants you can go to are very limited. If you honestly want to see the island for a few days fly there. My father's side came here during the "revolution" and all the most ardent conservatives you will ever meet, none of them are supportive of me visiting until communism is overthrown there. I have lots of friends who have gone the last year and all were a little disappointed the front that is put on to get every dollar (that you have to convert to a voucher they exchange) they can from you, while only letting you see the Cuba they want you to see. Most locals would prefer USD, the problem is you don't get to see those people as the tours only take you to "authorized" vendors.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Appreciate the input. This will be our first vacation w/o the kids so have been limiting ourselves to a 4 day cruises. May have to reconsider....
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Taco wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 am
jjk308 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am And I repeat - carnival ships are rowdy and drunken. You may like that atmosphere but I cannot tolerate it.
It's much less cut and dry than you claim. Carnival used to divide ships into brands by experience type much more than they do now. 3 night weekend cruise on a small ship out of Miami- yes, most people won't remember any of it. 8-14 night on the Carnival Glory and you'd have a crowd slightly less energetic than on Holland America...

If the destination is the goal, search it and find the dates that work ($/schedule). From the shortlist figure out the ship that best suits your needs.
"slightly less energetic than on Holland America..." would require the services of a mortician. :lol:

A couple of friends hated the Carnival cruise out of Tampa because of the drunkenness.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I'm not sure what the point of a cruise is besides eating, drinking, gambling, and screwing.

If I want to go on a boat ride for its own sake, I'd just rent a small one for the day.
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:02 pm I'm not sure what the point of a cruise is besides eating, drinking, gambling, and screwing.
What's wrong with that!!!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

S&W collector wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:37 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:02 pm I'm not sure what the point of a cruise is besides eating, drinking, gambling, and screwing.
What's wrong with that!!!
Nothing, that's what I plan on doing.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

We go on cruises primarily for the shore excursions. It's cheaper and easier than seeing all the places by flying or touring.