Hog Hunt

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Me and a buddy hunted Chappy's last week. Successful and enjoyable hunt.

$250 each for the hunt. $100 ($50 each) for a night in the two-person bunk cabin.

Set up on stands before daylight. It was a full moon; we saw one nice hog riding out to the stands but neither of us saw anything once we were on the stands. The deal is, if you don't get a shot by about 0830 they come get you and load up the dogs on the buggy.

Rode over to an adjacent area and turned the dogs loose. First hog (young boar) was tackled by the dogs within 15 minutes. They got him by the ears and held him until we got there. Bret & Doug pulled him out of his bed and got the dogs off him while Doug wrestled him to the ground. Gave us the choice of shooting him there or letting him go as a shooting on the run. My friend dispatched it at point blank range with his 357. 30 minutes later the dogs dug up a young sow for me. My first point blank shot to the head missed - I forgot about the nearly 3" offset of the lower third cowitnessed red dot on my 6.5 Grendel SBR. Second shot did the trick.

Bret & Doug hung, skinned, and quartered the hogs for us. Put them on ice in the cooler and we were ready to head out before lunch. I had gotten ice the day before at the Dollar General up the road - the ice machine at the self-storage place up the road was only accepting cash.

We each tipped them $80 for the extra work they put into getting us on our hogs. Typically I'd go $50-$60 for a $250 hunt.

We had ribeyes the night before at the Speckled Perch in Okeechobee. Don't let the rundown roadhouse look of the place scare you off - the steaks were excellent and reasonably priced.

Meat is now at Al's Wild Meat Processing in Riverview. Sausage, snack sticks, and stew meat will be ready in a week or two.

I highly recommend Chappy's for an excellent guided hog hunting experience and will be back again.

Last edited by flcracker on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TACC

Post by TACC »

Great info, thanks for all of the details

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Congrats on a successful hunt! Brett and his crew are great!
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

I can't recomend Chappys enough. Brett was so accomodating.
1 from stands, 2 from buggy, 1 from dogs.
Freaking deer 20 yards from stand, knew I was there, looked up at me many times, not deer season. So tempting. Turkey also around.
Just finished 1 shoulder. Taste was awesome.
Processed 110 llbs into sausage, breakfast, hot breakfast and Italian. Processor did a great job.
1 of our party has terminal brain cancer, Brett set the dogs out and cornered one so he could take one.
Again can't say enough good things about Chappys.
Pics to follow.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Great update thanks, looking forward to seeing more pics

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk