For those in the know.... (re: Trailer park life)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

For those in the know.... (re: Trailer park life)

Post by FfNJGTFO »

First of all, I absolutely am not referring to anyone on this forum as "trailer trash!" :mrgreen: Let's be clear on that. :D

But for those on here who may live or have/had some experience living in a trailer park, a quick question. Are there any rules/regs that require the owner of a trailer to "replace" it with a new trailer after a certain period of time (say, the trailer home itself reaches 20 years in age)? Either one must replace it or move it away. I ask, because I'm involved in a discussion on a different forum where the "caravan" owner is based in the UK (I guess they call trailer homes "caravans" there). Per the rules of his park, the building/structure must be replaced or moved away after it reaches 20 years in age. It can't stay in the park thereafter.

Fortunately, the subject of that discussion has acquired a brand new home (well, built from an old barn) on a huge parcel of land in Cornwall, UK. The caravan he used to live in was sold as part of the closing, but the new owner has to move it out of the park and away, as the orig subject would've had to had he stayed there. Apparently, it's the park's rule... no caravans older than 20 years. And, in this case, it doesn't really matter because the park itself is up for sale.

Do trailer home owners in the USA have to do that as well (i.e. move or replace the home every 20 years)?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

Having previously worked in code enforcement for 3 different municipalities, I can tell you Ive never seen that rule or anything like it. They can be condemned and required to be destroyed by the building official if unsafe and beyond repair, but theres no requirement just because they are old.

Oddly enough I had to do a research products on Single Wide Mobile Homes; Their life expectency (under the best of conditions) if built after 1974 is about 50 years...Though obviously with repairs/renovations that can be stretched out. Many citys and counties wont permit them anymore, or with very heavy restrictions or only allow them within certain areas.

These are convention trailers I am talking about, NOT Modular Homes (Which are a whole different critter entirely).
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Your question is kinda like asking a white guy how well he likes pigs feet,LOL.
The UK is a whole different ball game,your best bet would be to ask Nick about that,he lives in the UK. What Matt said pretty much sums it up.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I would think the owner of a trailer park here could write any rule he wants. The park is private property.

Some RV parks restrict motorhome and campers with a 10 year rule, but I haven't heard of a mobile home park doing that.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

My wife and I are currently full-time RV'ers. We bought a new 2020 44' fifth wheel and have stayed at many sites. Our current summer location is in N. GA. This park has a 10 year rule for RVs. Anything older requires approval from the park management. Many look great after 10 years, have been kept up by their owners, (washed, waxed, detailed, etc.) and are allowed to stay. Others that look like crap have to be replaced. We've discovered in our travels that most RV parks and resorts have the 10 year rule.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Just to be clear, we're not talking "RV" in the sense that it has an engine/wheels and can be driven away (like a "Winnie" or something). We're talking modular homes that have to be brought in / taken out by a flatbed truck and have crawl spaces, underneath.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

When we first came down here, we bought a double wide at a park in Largo. I believe it was over 20 years old at the time. Lots of single wide's in that park that looked like they were from the 60's and not in very good shape. If there was such a rule, it certainly wasn't applied there.

Zero regrets doing all that though, really didn't want to jump right into another mortgage after leaving NY anyways and glad we went the route we did instead. Wound up cleaning up that double wide and actually making a few bucks on it before moving an hour north to Spring Hill. It was certainly a smarter decision to go with the mobile home VS an apartment at the time.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Anyone familiar with the Hard Rock in Hollywood? Before it was built, there was a trailer park there. The occupants were given advance notice that they had a year to find a new place to live because the hotel would be built there. The occupants were also told they didn’t have to pay lot rent for that last full year so they could save up the $ for the move. Sure enough with one month to go, they were reminded they had 30 days to get out. People were freaking out they didn’t have the $ to move, but were reminded they should have had 12 months of rent saved up to pay for the move, except nobody saved that $. Most of the modular homes were too old to survive the move, & were destroyed. GARY.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hi Folks,

When it comes to the life time of a static caravan on a UK site, the quick answer is it all depends on the site rules/deeds. My boss and another work mate have static caravans so I will ask what rules the sites they use.

A major difference maybe the holiday home to the living home.

I'll be back with answers :D