Atlantic Firearms Polish AK-47 Rifle

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Atlantic Firearms Polish AK-47 Rifle

Post by tcpip95 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm

OK, I'm finally getting around to adding an AK-47, but don't know a lot about them. As I look around I keep coming back to Atlantic Firearms Polish AK-47 Rifle. I keep hearing that AF is one of the best places to purchase an AK from, and it sounds like the Polish models perform pretty well. Price on it is $839, which sounds high, but since I'm only planning on buying one, if that's the best that I'll get for my money then I'm OK with that.

Can you AK guys give me some insight into this rifle, or is there something better in that same price range?

Not looking for a folding stock. (I'm a lefty, but I understand that AKs are "lefty friendly")
I was part of the SOLUTION, were YOU?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Atlantic Firearms Polish AK-47 Rifle

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 pm

that's a $ 600 rifle tops

if you're only gonna buy one and wanna spend stupid money just get an Arsenal , if you don't want a folder maybe something like a SAM7 series
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dick

Post by Dick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:22 am

I agree with Rent- you may aswell spend another hundred or so and get an Arsenal.

Otherwise a Yugo or Wasr or something along those lines.

I'd like to see the build quality/rivet work of these AF rifles though.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 am

Back in the day when a parts kit included everything, the Polish AK's were some of the best. But nowadays, what actually is included with the parts kit? The barrel is US, is it chrome lined, & who makes it. Whose receiver did they use? Atlantic will not tell you who assembled the gun. But Atlantic is a quality seller who does stand behind the guns they sell. Now if you were to find a Polish AK with #'s matching parts that Vector built on a NDS, or Global Trades receiver that uses the original Polish barrel, that's the gun to get if you're into Polish AK's. Otherwise, just get a Wasr, or Yugo AK which is factory built. GARY

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:13 pm

I don't know what you're calling back in the day, but about 10 years ago , Vector built guns on the old OOW receivers, those were to guns to get, I have 2 from their limited run of 50 marked pistol receivers ...they might have switched or used other receiver later in the game, but I do remember Vector and OOW was the ticket, there are still posts on the AK forum about it.
tcpip95 wrote: I keep hearing that AF is one of the best places to purchase an AK from,
I'm just wonderin where you keep hearing this, cause I'm pretty up on the AK game and I've never heard it ...lol [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:I don't know what you're calling back in the day, but about 10 years ago , Vector built guns on the old OOW receivers, those were to guns to get, I have 2 from their limited run of 50 marked pistol receivers ...they might have switched or used other receiver later in the game, but I do remember Vector and OOW was the ticket, there are still posts on the AK forum about it.
tcpip95 wrote: I keep hearing that AF is one of the best places to purchase an AK from,
I'm just wonderin where you keep hearing this, cause I'm pretty up on the AK game and I've never heard it ...lol [smilie=011.gif]
I got a yugo npap from classic and haven't had any issues, flawless appearance/function and built like a tank. Picked it up from my FFL within like 2-3 days of purchase.

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:30 pm

I was reviewing comments on www.akfiles.com and www.ar15.com. On both sites, peoople spoke highly of them - especially their support. I couldn't find a bad word about them.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:55 pm

tcpip95 wrote:I was reviewing comments on http://www.akfiles.com and http://www.ar15.com. On both sites, peoople spoke highly of them - especially their support. I couldn't find a bad word about them.

ok I can believe that, just take it with a grain of salt, there is a lot of new blood ( fanboi's ) that don't have a clue, racking up posts on AK-files since the shift of power away from theAKforum ...I find it hard to still participate these days, and realize why I never did much in the past....there isn't much bad about them, but they aren't real forthcoming with where they get their bones from to build upon, like N4KVE stated, that leaves a lot to be desired......I'd be proud to state I was using the very best, if that were the case, just saying ?? :-k

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:59 pm

tcpip95 wrote:I was reviewing comments on http://www.akfiles.com and http://www.ar15.com. On both sites, peoople spoke highly of them - especially their support. I couldn't find a bad word about them.
What do you plan on doing with it? $890 less shipping and a transfer is pretty high for a range toy.

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I'd say I'm going to run off and join ISIS but I'm sure the Feds who monitor this board would freak out [smilie=011.gif].

Gonna shoot it and have fun with it. I looked at the SAM7R-66 from Arsenal, but it was simply outside what I could afford. AF knocked $50 off of the price, so - for the moment at least - I'm good with that price. I'll post some pics when I get it.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm

tcpip95 wrote:I'd say I'm going to run off and join ISIS but I'm sure the Feds who monitor this board would freak out [smilie=011.gif].

Gonna shoot it and have fun with it. I looked at the SAM7R-66 from Arsenal, but it was simply outside what I could afford. AF knocked $50 off of the price, so - for the moment at least - I'm good with that price. I'll post some pics when I get it.
1%er [smilie=011.gif]

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:41 pm

FSUnoles wrote:
tcpip95 wrote:I'd say I'm going to run off and join ISIS but I'm sure the Feds who monitor this board would freak out [smilie=011.gif].

1%er [smilie=011.gif]
Yeah, guilty as charged /:f

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 pm

They used the OOW receivers when they couldn't get the NDS, or Global receivers, but didn't want to stop production. The OOW receivers were only heat treated at the pin holes instead of the complete receiver. Also the OOW receivers were out of spec. If you lift up the safety lever, there will be a gap between the top of the safety lever, & the top cover. A dead giveaway of an OOW receiver. They were correct for a 74 gun, but they cheaped out & didn't make a correct receiver for 47 builds. They just used the 74 design for both. GARY
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8239
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=70695

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Gun arrived today. Furniture looks great and am happy with the fit and finish. A couple of you mentioned you wanted to see the rivet work, so here's some pics. This 1%'er would appreciate your comments. [smilie=011.gif] BTW, that "scratch" mark where the safety slides in picture 6 is actually just some very light oil on the receiver, no scratch.

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 am

Just realized that the pics didn't publish in the earlier posting so fixed that.

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:38 pm

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was given a discount if I would write up a review of the gun. It didn't have to be a good review, just an honest review, which this is.

RANGE REPORT: Went out to the range today and shot about 400 rounds. Ammo was Barnaul Golden Bear, and the weapon shot flawlessly. I had some initial problems getting the magazine (poly magazine made in Radom, Poland) to seat properly (had to pull back on bolt to lock it in place the first couple of magazines), but after that all seemed well. It took me some time to sight it in (note: Atlantic Firearms bore-sighted the weapon before they shipped it to me, but with my whacked-out eyes it wasn't working) - mostly figuring out that left means right and up means down on adjusting the front sight, but got that figured out as well. Not a single issue with firing, ejecting, extracting. No problems.

Got more than one compliment on the look and finish of the weapon from others at the range. Some people that I have exchanged emails with initially thought that the price was a little high, however after seeing pics of the work, they felt that it was definitely worth the money.

Brought it home and was very easy to break down, clean, and re-assemble.

To Atlantic Firearms: It looks like you guys have a winner with these guns. I can say that I'm a very satisfied customer - granted, it's only had one day on the range, but having looked at the weapon, fired it, disassembled it, cleaned it, and reassembled it, I feel confident that it will do well for a long time.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:02 pm

tcpip95 wrote:FULL DISCLOSURE: I was given a discount if I would write up a review of the gun. It didn't have to be a good review, just an honest review, which this is.
you forgot to tell us about the box it was shipped in, [smilie=011.gif] sounds like Atlantic asks a lot of folks to write a review for a discount =:wvr

glad you like it, welcome to the AK club :ber

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:43 am

It came with a Plano case, and shipped in a plain brown box LOL [smilie=011.gif]

/:f

speed_racer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by speed_racer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:21 am

If you want to spend $800-1000 and get a PREMIUM AK, but an Arsenal
Onree wrote: If the law becomes nothing more than a Rubik's Cube, its just a matter of time before we all end up in cuffs.

lramos5

Post by lramos5 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for the pics! Definitely a very nice looking rifle... Congrats!